Proposed forum updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed forum updates

The blurb panel above states "You will NOT be able to use your current forum username and password to login to the new forum. "

Does this mean that we cannot reuse our CURRENT FORUM USERNAME?
    Can we create a webstore account with the same name as our *current* forum account name and then that be our account name name in the *new* forum?
    The mental gymnastics for correlating old user names to new user names would make it difficult to use the new forum.
    What technical reason makes it impossible to port existing accounts to the new forum, or to be able for us to recreate our accounts with at least the same usernames?

Agreed - ridiculous we can't use our existing names / passwords. Come on now. There's no one at AD that can import this?

Comment

You can use the same "username" (old forum) as a "nickname" (new forum)

The login will be through a single sign on authorization and be the same email and password you use for the web store. The plan is to allow you to be able to transfer between the web store without having to log into each individually.

On your initial login to the forum you will be asked for a First Name, Last Name, and Nickname.

We did look at importing users. It sounds easy, but there are lots of factors that make it much harder than you think.

We are trying to provide a platform that we can expand on a make a better customer experience.
      Last edited by ADC_CommTeam01; 03-18-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I really dont care about the password! That *should* be changed periodically anyway.

Thanks for clearing up that we CAN use our current username.
        I hope most users can/will use their current nicks - for continuity of discussions and opinion(s).

Comment

Originally posted by ADC_CommTeam01 View Post
          The login will be through a single sign on authorization and be the same email and password you use for the web store.
          And no one thinks this might be undesirable from a security point of view?

We are trying to provide a platform that we can expand on a make a better customer experience.
          Sorry, but just ugh. Already the web store has features that don't work in all browsers, e.g., Compare.

Also, if I just need to look at an item or documentation, I do it in private or incognito mode just so I won't get deluged with AutomationDirect ads on every web site I visit afterwards. I like AD, but get influenced negatively by this kind of "in your face" tracking.
          Last edited by ADC_CommTeam01; 03-18-2020, 08:26 PM.

Comment

This actually stinks.

I'm not the buyer or the person whose email address and password is linked to my employer's webstore account. I am not comfortable using their email and password to access the forum. So, my only option is to open a personal account to Automation Direct to post here?

Please advise.

Thanks!
            Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

So, my only option is to open a personal account to Automation Direct to post here?
              No this is not the case. You can sign up in the new forum whether you have a web store account or not and it will create a contact. That contact can be associated with an account (if your email is associated with an account in the webstore), but you do not have to have a web store account to create a user, post, or participate in the forum.

We will try to answer all of your questions as we can. We may take a little longer for some answers than others as we want to make sure we answer correctly so we may consult with other teams for accurate answers. The only thing we ask of you is respect.

We know change is never easy and we are trying our best to provide a great customer experience.

Comment

Mike,

And no one thinks this might be undesirable from a security point of view?
                We are using the OpenID Standard.

With OpenID, passwords are never shared with any websites, and if a compromise does occur, you can simply change the password for your OpenID, thus immediately preventing a hacker from gaining access to your accounts at any websites you visit.

Our SSO provider
                Universal login is a more seamless experience for the user. On the front end he or she sees a simple authentication request; on the back end, credentials remain within the same domain instead of being sent across origins. This makes it a far more secure method than exposing the information to outside sources. When personal data moves from one origin to another, phishing attacks and man-in-the-middle attacks become common.

OpenID is well documented if you would like to look into it further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID

Also, if I just need to look at an item or documentation, I do it in private or incognito mode just so I won't get deluged with AutomationDirect ads on every web site I visit afterwards. I like AD, but get influenced negatively by this kind of "in your face" tracking.
                In a conversation with our marketing/web team on this.

My personal experience is that this is more of a browser issue. Google caches my info and "knows" what I want so that is what I get in ads when I go to any site. Not sure how much we have to do with this, but I will see if other teams can help me out with an answer.

Comment

Working...
                X