X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLICK feature request

For the next SW/FW rev for Click:
    Please allow ASCII copying to/from TXT/DS/DH,
    or allow retentive setting of TXT addresses.
    Since TXT and DS/DH are simply "interpretations' of bit patterns, (TXT is int8 and DS/DH are int16)
    it should be simple with existing math/copy instructions. But NO.

Help topic CL059 tells my dilemma.

Note: If one of those TXT Memory Addresses has non-numerical ASCII character like ‘A’, this Copy instruction won’t convert the ASCII characters to a numerical data. Instead,
    System Control Bit SC43 ‘Out of Range’ will turn on to indicate the error condition. .................................................. .................................................. ............................

This should be easier than changing the ALWAYS NON-RETENTIVE nature of TXT.

I have managed to do what I needed: retain recipe TXT names through a power cycle.
    It would be tremendously cleaner code if TXT addresses were retentive.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion, it is greatly appreciated. I have forwarded it to the Product Manager.
      If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team at 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
        I have managed to do what I needed: retain recipe TXT names through a power cycle.
        It would be tremendously cleaner code if TXT addresses were retentive.
        Do tell, how did you manage to retain TXT through a power cycle? I have a project now, and notice one cannot make TXT retentive. Bummer, since it's the names of the recipes stored.
        If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgeline Mach View Post

Do tell, how did you manage to retain TXT through a power cycle? I have a project now, and notice one cannot make TXT retentive. Bummer, since it's the names of the recipes stored.
          since it's the names of the recipes stored
          THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I DID THIS!
          If you can,upgrade to FW 2.10. It is much cleaner than my 2.00 2.10 job.

If a firmware upgrade IS NOT AN OPTION:
          -- In separates subprograms
          I copied/converted TXT to DS when a recipename field was edited. I copy/convert any characters that I did not intend to support to a character that I DID intend to support at this time.(I did this as required to minimize runtime impact)
          On PowerUp or SwitchToRUN I would iterate through all saved DS<->TXT registers and then copy/convert those DS values to a supported TXT character.

UGLY, but it worked.
          Last edited by kewakl; 07-01-2017, 08:10 AM. Reason: version correction

Comment

Upgraded to 2.10 (was using 2.00). Wow, retentive TXT, who-da thunk? I should have learned my lesson to always look for software updates. Thanks, kewakl.
            If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
            X