X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RickIDS
    replied
    Originally posted by FACTS_ENG_TEAM1 View Post
    We do not have plans to release any new ProOpen products within the next 2 months.

All of the pins you need to communicate with the Base Controller are present on the header of the P1AM-100. The library source also documents the SPI communication with this chip, it would be a fairly straightforward port. The P1AM library is MIT licensed, so it's permissive of modifications. The only code you would need on the Arduino/SAMD21 side is P1.enableBaseController(true) so the Base Controller chip is brought out of reset.

This sort of use would be outside of standard operation, so I can't really give you any hard support or performance guarantees.

Thank You!

I will take a look.

Leave a comment:

• FACTS_ENG_TEAM1
    replied
    We do not have plans to release any new ProOpen products within the next 2 months.

All of the pins you need to communicate with the Base Controller are present on the header of the P1AM-100. The library source also documents the SPI communication with this chip, it would be a fairly straightforward port. The P1AM library is MIT licensed, so it's permissive of modifications. The only code you would need on the Arduino/SAMD21 side is P1.enableBaseController(true) so the Base Controller chip is brought out of reset.

This sort of use would be outside of standard operation, so I can't really give you any hard support or performance guarantees.

Leave a comment:

• RickIDS
    replied
    Originally posted by FACTS_ENG_TEAM1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on this everyone. Currently, If you want a Pi to talk to P1000 I/O you have a few options. To me, the cleanest is to plug the P1AM-100 USB Port into the Pi. It'll sign on as a normal comm port i.e. /dev/ttyUSB0 or similar. You'll need to write some basic code to parse messages between the Pi and P1AM. You could really use this approach with any interface like I2C, Ethrenet, or uart. SPI is also an option, but be careful with it on Raspian; the OS overhead can make timings inconsistent.

Adam
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for the quick response.

Spending $49 on the P1AM is no problem. I would gladly pay that for some kind of AutomationDirect interface board made specifically to mount my own Raspberry Pi and use simple I2C routines already available in python to run the P1000 I/O cards.

The problem I have with the above proposed solution using the P1AM is the unnecessary extra "hops" of running the text data through a USB COM ... decoding etc etc. I would actually just use a Productivity or Click CPU and run Modbus TCP before I would home-brew something through the Arduino COM like you suggest.

Please let me know if you plan on releasing some kind of interface board for the Raspberry PI within the next two months. If not, I will set to work with a logic analyzer to figure out the P1000 bus and design my own solution to release open source. Not trying to be rude - it's just something we really need for an upcoming project.

Thanks
    Rick

Leave a comment:

• FACTS_ENG_TEAM1
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback on this everyone. Currently, If you want a Pi to talk to P1000 I/O you have a few options. To me, the cleanest is to plug the P1AM-100 USB Port into the Pi. It'll sign on as a normal comm port i.e. /dev/ttyUSB0 or similar. You'll need to write some basic code to parse messages between the Pi and P1AM. You could really use this approach with any interface like I2C, Ethrenet, or uart. SPI is also an option, but be careful with it on Raspian; the OS overhead can make timings inconsistent.

Adam

Leave a comment:

• RickIDS
    replied
    I am currently using these as an I2C interface the Raspberry Pi to 24v industrial I/O. - But would much rather purchase the nice P1000 I/O cards - to make a much cleaner installation.

https://www.ereshop.com/shop/index.p...b3c746cd536748

Leave a comment:

• RickIDS
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

I already have a system installed with a customer using the open source library phpModbus to read/write to a Productivity1000 PLC. I have some logic in the PLC to do simple housekeeping logic on the machine - then I have an Apache server actually directing the operation of the system.

I was hoping AutomationDirect might release a card I could buy - or the documentation on the P1000 bus that would let me engineer a simple I2C interface so I could use their I/O cards directly with the Raspberry Pi using python. - Rather than going through the whole song-and-dance of modbus.

Here is a simple phpModbus program to set a bit in the Productivity1000 PLC via modbus TCP.

<?php

require_once dirname(__FILE__) . '/phpmodbus-master/Phpmodbus/ModbusMaster.php';

// Create Modbus object
    $modbus = new ModbusMaster("192.168.1.11", "TCP");
    $ThisOut= $_GET['Out'];

// Data to be writen - TRUE, FALSE
    $data_true = array(TRUE);
    $data_false = array(FALSE);

try {
    $recWrite = $modbus->writeSingleCoil(1,$ThisOut,$data_true);
    }
    catch (Exception $e) {
    // Print error information if any
    //echo $modbus;
    //echo $e;
    exit;
    }
    Last edited by RickIDS; 03-22-2020, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bikerglen
    replied
    There's an STM32 microcontroller that handles the communications between the ATSAMD21 and the P1000 bus. The code for this controller has not been released and the P1000 bus has not been documented. Best bet would be to build a board to interface the Pi to the P1AM-100 using its MKR interface and go from there. The Pi and P1AM-100 could talk using SPI, async serial, or I2C. Or use a P1AM-ETH with the P1AM-100 to control the P1000 modules over Ethernet.

Leave a comment:

• Tinker
    replied
    It seems to me the easiest/preferred method would be to go thru a P1AM-100, if you don't want to do that, since the P1AM-100 is advertised as open source, I would a look at the source and see how theP1AM-100 communicates with the expansion modules.

Leave a comment:

• RickIDS
    started a topic Raspberry Pi Connectivity to P1000 Modules

Raspberry Pi Connectivity to P1000 Modules

I would like to stack up the readily available digital and analog modules with a Raspberry Pi. I have the ability to make any required interface PCB between the Pi and the P1000 bus connector. What is the pinout and communication method (is it something simple like SPI or I2c?) to the Productivity I/O modules?
Working...
X