ProductivityOpen and GCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProductivityOpen and GCC

First, let me say that I am very excited to see this option in the productivity line. I'm hoping a P2000 module will be released in the near future.

My background is in programming embedded controllers in C, and my preferred working environment is the command line. My question is will there be support for building, linking, and loading using only the standard GNU toolchain?

Thanks.

It will function just like the Arduino, so if you absolutely have to do it the hard way there's nothing stopping you!

Comment

I just type 'make && make upload', nothing hard about it!

I'm mainly curious how easy it will be to get the hardware support libraries and what tool is needed to load programs onto the target.

Comment

Okay, found the sub-forum with the sticky post outlining how to get the libraries.

I'll do some playing and report back with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by crashkopf View Post
          I just type 'make && make upload', nothing hard about it!

I'm mainly curious how easy it will be to get the hardware support libraries and what tool is needed to load programs onto the target.
          When I play with arduino, I click the (looks like a RIGHT arrow) UPLOAD button. No typing required.

Comment

What can I say, I really like to get down to the nuts and bolts of these things. Also, I've previously experienced the nightmare of trying to maintain an Arduino-based control system that just couldn't scale well as the application become more complex. The hardware was fine, but the Arduino software environment kept getting in the way. In the end I ported the project to C and changes going forward became a lot easier. This is why I'm excited by the ProductivityOpen: if the interfaces are well documented and tooling exists from multiple sources then I don't have to worry about the limitations of vendor-provided software. So, kudos to the people that made this product happen.

The Arduino docs aren't the best at stating what's going on under the hood, but this seems to be the relevant info:
            Target: SAMD21 ARM Cortex-M0+
            C Library: newlib-nano
            Flashing and Debugging: openocd

Based on a quick glance through P1AM.cpp it seems the controller talks to its I/O modules over SPI

And now the rest is a small matter of programming...

Comment

Working...
            X