Entering timer presets using EA9 and Domore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering timer presets using EA9 and Domore

I would like to use a numeric entry to allow the operator to change timer presets as needed. As the Domore timers use ms as a time base, how would I set up the numeric entry in a EA9? I need to enter values to at minimum .1 second. I would like the operator not to have to do the math, so do I have to do the math in the Domore? If anyone could provide an example, it would be appreciated. I have searched the forums without luck.
    Thank you.

I set up an unsigned integer word for storing the preset. The numeric entry if I was limiting the setting to less than 10 seconds would be an unsigned decimal with 4 digits and 3 fractional. This would display as 1.234

Comment

Originally posted by commander View Post
      I set up an unsigned integer word for storing the preset. The numeric entry if I was limiting the setting to less than 10 seconds would be an unsigned decimal with 4 digits and 3 fractional. This would display as 1.234
      Thanks for the reply. I understand that part. What I am unsure on is how the plc (DoMore) is going to interpret that number as when using a variable for a preset, it requires a ms(millsec) value. So do I need to do some scaling or math and where is the best place to do this as I see the Cmore numeric input can be scaled??

Comment

If you type TMR and hit enter a big box appears. Look down and you will see a check box for Constant. Use that. You will see that it is in ms. I am in the process of doing this. I use timer presents a lot in previous projects. I will see how it works out. Being in milliseconds, I can deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by a agnone View Post
          If you type TMR and hit enter a big box appears. Look down and you will see a check box for Constant. Use that. You will see that it is in ms. I am in the process of doing this. I use timer presents a lot in previous projects. I will see how it works out. Being in milliseconds, I can deal with that.
          I want to use a variable as for the preset, not a constant as I want the operator to be able to change these variables from the HMI. Thanks

Comment

The controls for the Cmore just sets how the operator views the number. The '1.234' as mentioned by Commander (assuming that is what was entered) would still be sent to the Do-more as '1234'. It's just for the operator's understanding.
            thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlton View Post
              The controls for the Cmore just sets how the operator views the number. The '1.234' as mentioned by Commander (assuming that is what was entered) would still be sent to the Do-more as '1234'. It's just for the operator's understanding.
              Thank you Bernie & Commander. So then it appears that I will have to multiply whatever number is entered by 1000 in order for the preset to be in ms as required by the instruction.

Comment

Originally posted by davehask View Post

So then it appears that I will have to multiply whatever number is entered by 1000 in order for the preset to be in ms as required by the instruction.
                No. You don't have to do anything. 1.234 (in seconds) entered is sent as 1234, which is the number of milliseconds, which is exactly what is needed. No need to do any multiplication.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Once you have an actual Cmore connected to an actual Do-more it will become more apparent what is going on. It will be easy.
                  thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

You can scale the value in the Cmore numeric entry. Scale is found under the options tab of the numeric entry. For example if you use a real number put 100,000 as the PLC value and 100 as the display value. If you use an integer then put 100,000 as the PLC value and 1000 as the display value. In both instances you will use 1 as the number of decimal places.

Comment

Whoops sorry I should have said select variable. Being in ms it just works. I have the C-More setup so the operator thinks they are entering seconds.

Comment

I'm on here for an issue related to EA9 Numeric Entry...and this thread is close, so here it goes.

If you set up the numeric entry variable as an unsigned integer, and specify the data entry as 5 digits with 3 of those to the right of the decimal place, then this is how the number must be entered - 5 presses, where three of those wind up right of the decimal. so the presses for "9.375" would be "9375"...resulting in that net entry with three of the entries to the right of the decimal.

However, the operator keeps wanting to enter "9.375", which puts him a decimal off in his entry. If the numeric entry variable is set as floating point 32, then the entry is intuitively as the operator expects - he enters the decimal point to put it where he wants it in his entry.

The problem with this is that a floating point 32 cannot be transferred to the PLC, because the only variable available is in the EA9 is a "V", and the PLC sees this as a signed integer.

With the variable set up as floating point 32 on the HMI side, the entry works perfect and the number displayed is correct. However, the PLC sees this variable as a "0" or rounds it to the closest integer. I can't get the floating point on the HMI side to a real number on the PLC side.

Can someone help out with this?

Comment

The EA9 should be able to communicate with the PLC using 32bit floating numbers.
                          Is the 32bit Float tag named and used in the PLC program?
                          Was the tag exported from the PLC software and then Imported to the CMore Project?
                          If so, this tag name should be available in the picklist when placing in a new numeric entry object.

Comment

I believe that JHaysPE is referring to one of the DL line of PLCs, not a Do-more. Since the DL line is not typed it is not apparent how it supports floating point (in most of the CPUs). I addressed this at his other copy of this post.
                            thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Read the second post after responding this one... a bit late.

Comment

Working...
                              X