Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LPT: When plugging a USB cable into a C-More Micro, make sure you use the USB port!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPT: When plugging a USB cable into a C-More Micro, make sure you use the USB port!

Learn from my mistake. Don't just feel around for the port. A USB-B plug fits perfectly in the RJ-12 socket. It also creates a dead short across all 6 pins of the RJ-12. This kills the internal 5V supply

Click image for larger version

Name:	EA3-T6CL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	109182

The panel will still function if powered via USB, but not using the 24V input

I can attest that it is a very good fit indeed. It took me awhile to figure out why I couldn't connect to a drive once. Fortunately for me, nothing was damaged.

Does this mean you now have a test HMI?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Nash View Post
      Does this mean you now have a test HMI?
      Haha, exactly. I put an NG sticker over the 24v connector as a reminder. I also covered up the RJ-12 port on the replacement, and will do the same on future C-Mores to prevent this accident.

Name:	ng.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	109188

Comment

Found that it was just a blown fuse. It's a 2.5A surface-mount fuse, so I soldered in a separate 2A 5x20mm fuse. Still can't put it in a customer's machine, but now my 'test HMI' is fully functional

Name:	fuse.jpg
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	109193

Comment

Kind of related... The USB A side of the cable fits perfectly into the Ethernet port on your PC or laptop. That really makes you scratch your head...

Comment

Originally posted by ljbeng View Post
            The USB A side of the cable fits perfectly into the Ethernet port on your PC or laptop
            Mine are right next to each other, so I plug USB cables into the Ethernet port pretty much daily

Name:	laptop.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	109206

Thankfully, it does no damage.

Comment

Working...
            X