Bug in USB restore when there is an SD card installed - EA9-T12CL V6.32

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug in USB restore when there is an SD card installed - EA9-T12CL V6.32

Subsequent USB restores fails after an initial restore has been done (to an unintended location which is dictated by C-more firmware as in C-more saving it in to the SD card card when I specifically requested that I want it to be saved to the internal flash from my USB drive) Everything in Panel manager is set to re-store to internal flash. Yet when an external restore device (USB Thumb Drive) is created, when restoring, it "ALWAYS" looks to restore to the SD card instead of C-more's internal flash, no matter what the setting is. (I tried all three options. Auto, Panel Built in Flash, and the SD1). However, the restore works only the very first time (restoring to SD even though the previous installation was for internal flash) Manual Memory clears fails on the SD card as well. So now I have three systems down where my customer can't install an upgrade half way across the country. Never had this problem with EA7's. Then again, only few of them had Flash cards and I never had a need to update them.

Only way around this is to.....

1. Load the program in to C-more using a PC running C-more EA9 software.

2. Then do a backup to a USB drive from the EA9 Touch panel itself.

3. Then use that USB drive for customer restores. This works every time by restoring the program to "INTERNAL FLASH AS I INTENDED" instead of the SD card.

One problem, above method only works with UNPROTECTED software. All ours are protected.

Is there a fix for this issue that we don't know about?

Thanks and Cheers!!!
    Last edited by skyfox; 12-16-2017, 01:37 AM.

An example....
    Attached Files

Comment

After reading my own post, I realized it may be a bit confusing. I am confused at the moment with these EA9 issues as well.

For starters, I want to be able to send a protected HMI file to a customer and have them load it in to their EA9 panel without any issues.

Step 1
      Create a project and load it in to an EA9 Panel and save it to the Internal Flash. Condition in which thee panel is shipped to the customer.

Step 2
      Do some changes to the initial project. Create a USB drive as a restore medium to load the update it in to the EA9 panel. During this step everything is set/selected to be loaded in to EA9's internal Flash and not to the SD1 card.

Step 3 Use the USB drive to load (restore the project) the program in to the panel. IT WORKS ONLY THE FIRST TIME AROUND. However. it loads the program in to SD1 card instead of loading it to the internal flash as intended.

Everybody's (everybody except me that is) happy at this time even though the program was loaded in to the wrong place. Things appear to work normal. Now......

Step 4 Make more changes to your original project.

Step 5 Create a new USB drive to send to the customer for an update.

Step 6
      Customer tries to load the USB drive. It is still loading to SD1 even though it was created for loading it in to internal flash. The progress bar, gets to about 99% of loading new software....after what seems like an eternity in modern computer times, the restore then FAILS!!!!!

Then, if you try to clear the SD1 memory first and try to reload, this is what happens........

Lets say SD1 Project memory = 15Meg and Firmware = 21 MEG.

a. Select memory Clear option
      b. Select both SD1 program memory and Firmware for clearing and select next. After a Few seconds message pops up stating memory clear failed.
      c. Now go back and select memory clear option again and notice it still shows the original values (15Meg and 21 Meg respectively)

Now.......

d. This time ONLY select the Program memory option. Do not select the clear Firmware option and click next. Again, After a Few seconds, a message pops up stating memory clear failed.

But......

If you go back and look, now it shows SD1 memory at 1 MEG (instead of 15 Meg) and Firmware shows 1 Meg (instead of 21 Meg even though the firmware clear option was NOT selected).

e. Now trying to reload the program, after further wasting end users time by appearing to load the program for a while, it comes back and says "RESTORE FAILED"

THIS BEHAVIOR IS REPEATABLE.

ONLY way around this (for a protected program) is to do a factory restore first and then run the Restore option after that. (not a very customer friendly option). It still copies the program to SD1 instead of the internal Flash. So the bug is still there.

The other option is to Backup the program from a panel itself to a USB drive instead of creating the restore USB drive using EA9 programming software. This method will actually re-store the program to internal flash instead of SD1. Again, this only works for UNPROTECTED programs. Regardless, even unprotected programs loads to SD1 if USB media is created with Ea9 programming software instead of loading the program in to panel's internal flash as intended.

I am willing to settle with restoring a project to an SD card instead of Panel's internal flash, provided, I can do it all the time instead of only the very first time without a customer having to do a factory restore on the panel each time.

One other annoying thing that customers complain about is during a restore process, when "NEXT", "OK" and other options are pressed, screen appears to be frozen for a long time giving the perception that the screen is ACTUALLY frozen. This delay can at times run in to minutes. It might be a good Idea to have a screen change to a new screen with each button press as a form of acknowledgment when a customer selects an option there by letting the customer know something is actually happening within the panel. Just my two cents.
      Last edited by skyfox; 12-17-2017, 05:24 PM.

Comment

This Backup and Restore issue/bug was duplicated by the C-more development team and is being corrected. It should be in a future version release. Here is a summary of what was found and a possible work around in your case:

Backup/Restore Issue:
        The Backup file created with the C-more software does not contain the proper restore info as it should. This causes the project file to not be saved in the proper boot storage memory location that was configured in the panel manger settings.

Temporary Work Around: Use the C-more system screen and not the programming software to create a backup file.
        Do the following steps when you need to create the backup file.
        1. Send the project (.eap9 file) to a C-more panel
        2. Create a backup file using the C-more panel System Setup screen on the panel.
        This backup file contains the proper restore info. This file can be sent to your customers

Restore Process Issue:
        The annoying delay you mentioned during the Restore Process is also related to the first issue. The developers also plan to correct this behavior to make the process more intuitive.

We are still investigating Backup/restore Process and there may be other updates.

Please contact our technical support team to create a Call Ticket regarding this issue for any follow up. This is the best way to resolve issues as this forum is not monitored on a regular bases.

HMI PM
        HMI PM

Comment

Temporary Work Around: Use the C-more system screen and not the programming software to create a backup file.
          Do the following steps when you need to create the backup file.
          1. Send the project (.eap9 file) to a C-more panel
          2. Create a backup file using the C-more panel System Setup screen on the panel.
          This backup file contains the proper restore info. This file can be sent to your customers

HMI PM
          Thanks for the feedback HMI PM,

Unfortunately, workaround ONLY works with unprotected projects. In our case, all projects are protected.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

Comment

Having the same problem with V6.40. Called tech support, and as of Friday 1/6, the front line was not aware of this issue, and asked that I send a copy of my USB image for engineering to evaluate. I am also trying to restore from USB (updated software for my customer). I would have thought the issue was resolved with the 6.4 release.
            At least I am not alone.
            Thanks
            David

Comment

Working...
            X