Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Simultaneously link to multiple PLCs from C-more": anybody do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Simultaneously link to multiple PLCs from C-more": anybody do this?

Not much about it in the CMore manual. I'm exploring this as a way to avoid going to a larger PLC. We use the DL06 and have a job that has extra needs which is more than one 06 can do. Most of those additional needs could be handled as a stand alone subsystem, which has other advantages as well. I'm pondering if using two DL06 plcs would be a easier more cost effective alternative than switching to a 205 plc. Both plcs would have to be accessed by the same EA9 Cmore. It looks simple, but the real world always has trade-offs. What are the downsides of connecting two plcs to one Cmore?

Distributing your control across two PLCs is probably a larger concern. Very do-able, but you have to think about what I/O is tied to which PLC. Then, probably more critical, is what/how the logic/control is shared/tiered between the PLCs.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

I have one C-More that is talking to a '06 and a 205.. The Display is seamless, and the '06 and 205 can share data through the E-net that the screen is also talking on..

For the Tag Names I also use some of the same names.. Confusing.. So my 205 uses the 'Already named Tag' like "Tank (?) Leve"l.. but all of the '06 Tags end with the '06 Location, which for me is "Wis2".. which is the name of the Building it's in.. So "Tank (?) Level Wis2" will be the Tag Name on the '06 when refering to a tank that is in Wis2

The program running in the '06 and the 205 also use the Same Memory locations in the respective PLC's .. so the "Wis2" helps me keep it straight as to which unit I'm talking to when I Display Data..

Cap

Comment

franji1, I envision no problem with the PLCs. One will be our typical hardware and program while the second will handle the optional equipment. I do not think that the PLCs will have to share any information, though we may want them to be capable of it. My main concern is what side effects will occur when connecting 2 plcs to the cmore. I would feel more confident if many people have done it without major issues. Will the cmore get laggy with 2 plcs? At this point I don't know what questions I should be asking.
        Last edited by Ibsft; 09-19-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks Cap, that is great to hear. Did you make the cables and did you use RS485?

Comment

E-Net

Cap

Comment

Originally posted by Cap View Post
              E-Net

Cap
              i.e. H0-ECOM100
              There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Thanks. We are getting the parts to try the RS485 so we don't have to take up a slot with the ecom card.

Comment

This is something we do at most of our customers sites. To date I believe the most processors we have had communicating to a single CMore was 9. These were on Ethernet and had no issues other than making adjustments to our polling timers to prevent any timeouts because of network traffic. We did install a Managed Switch (Stride) to help seperate the Remote IO Stuff from the broadcast. This has been running since 2013, and we upgraded the HMI's to the EA9's a little over a year ago with no issues.

Comment

I just completed a site with 3 C-more EA9-T10WCL connected to two DoMore H2 PLCs via Ethernet with no issues.

Comment

I have 2 C-mores in 2 different locations, each networked to a DL205 and an AB SLC500. No issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X