EA9 Multi-state Text Indicator-messages- bit # vs. message #

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA9 Multi-state Text Indicator-messages- bit # vs. message #

Hi, having an issue with getting messages to display.
    Currently have a Multi state text indicator configured to use message # instead of bit number.
    I am using N7:20 for the source address and, for example, moving a 4 to that address with the PLC when I want message #4 to appear.
    But no messages are showing up at all despite having them all set up under the Messages tab.
    So, I was going to switch over to using bit number (decimal) but I can't quite grasp what I need to do.
    In the text indicator I will need to have a message displayed, with the PLC choosing from about 6 different messages depending on the machine state.
    How do I set this up in the PLC logic? I admit I am not a seasoned PLC guy and don't really understand what bit number actually means.
    I'd actually prefer to use my existing method (message # instead of bit #) but not sure what I'm doing wrong.

For message number you need to make sure you have "Signed int 16" set for your data type in the EA9 (assuming Micrologix, SLC500 or PLC5, etc) If it is still a floating point it won't work well. Next, run it in the simulator and play with the values to see if your message pops up.

You can use bit number too, but you can't have a value in N7:20 of 3 or 5 or 6-7 or 9-15 because it only allows one bit of the word to be set to be valid. So N7:20/0 is bit 0 and the value is 1. N7:20/4 is bit 4 and the value is 16 in N7:20.

Stick with message number and make sure the data type matches.

Comment

can you post images of the dialog multistate setup - with tag addresses

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Nash View Post
        For message number you need to make sure you have "Signed int 16" set for your data type in the EA9 (assuming Micrologix, SLC500 or PLC5, etc) If it is still a floating point it won't work well. Next, run it in the simulator and play with the values to see if your message pops up.

You can use bit number too, but you can't have a value in N7:20 of 3 or 5 or 6-7 or 9-15 because it only allows one bit of the word to be set to be valid. So N7:20/0 is bit 0 and the value is 1. N7:20/4 is bit 4 and the value is 16 in N7:20.

Stick with message number and make sure the data type matches.
        Awesome, thanks, I was reading about exactly that 2 weeks ago but now I have made the neural connection.

Comment

Solved, my text indicator box wasn't quite large enough to accomodate the messages so they weren't appearing.

Comment

Working...
          X