NEMA 4/4X Indoor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEMA 4/4X Indoor?

I thought that NEMA 4/4X was by definition rated for outdoor use? However EA9 series HMIs specifically state indoor use, any specific reason for that?

Any plans for an outdoor HMI along the lines of EA9?

LCD's don't fair well in UV rich environments.

Short story; Right after touchscreens started to become affordable, I put one in a project that got shipped to Yuma, AZ. About a month later I got a call from the site claiming the screen was all white. Puzzled I sent them a new touchscreen and when I got theirs back there was a halo burned into the screen in the shape of the sun with the corona and everything. Turns out that sand is a great reflector. I sent the customer a roll of car tint to put on the enclosure window to prevent more burn in. I have since learned to ask where things are going to be installed at and how they are going to be installed.
    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

So they'll stand up to the elements with the exception of sunlight? What about using something like a screen visor and positioning to minimize UV exposure.

Sunlight I can design around, but moisture exposure will be more of an issue here in coastal Washington state.

Comment

No idea. Not my product line. Might be ok, but I really don't know as I was not privy to the entire conversation. I just know that LCD's don't do well outdoors without being specially designed for such use.
        If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

The EA9 spec sheet states "NEMA 250 type 4/4X indoor use only; UL50 type 4X indoor use only; IP-65 indoor use only (When mounted correctly)" (emphasis mine)

I would read this as, when the panel is mounted in a 4/4X enclosure, using the supplied gasket, the screen and front bezel maintain the NEMA 4/4X rating. NEMA 4/4X is equivalent to IP-65, so no dust intrusion, and limited water intrusion possible if sprayed with a jet of water.

I think Do-more PE is right about the indoor rating, that it has to do with the LCD panel not being rated for UV. I would expect that, as long as you can limit sun exposure, and the enclosure is 4/4X, you should be fine with wind and rain.

Comment

The NEMA-4x standard DOES NOT specify outdoor usage. The outdoor rating in question there is NEMA-3R. Generally these ratings are stacked up. Outdoor has a lot of other factors to consider, and there is a reason it is a bit iffy on ratings. These factors include:

Expected water ingress levels (blowing wind/rain)
            Temporary submergement
            Snow/Ice buildup
            Extreme Heat, Humidity, other factors.
            And of course, UV ratings.

It can be difficult to find outdoor rated enclosures for certain things.

Now, it is a bit different when you start looking at installing cabinets outdoors vs receptacles, disconnects, etc. I just wanted to bring that up.

https://www.nemaenclosures.com/enclo...nclosures.html

Comment

Originally posted by sparkie View Post
              The NEMA-4x standard DOES NOT specify outdoor usage. The outdoor rating in question there is NEMA-3R. Generally these ratings are stacked up. Outdoor has a lot of other factors to consider, and there is a reason it is a bit iffy on ratings. These factors include:

Expected water ingress levels (blowing wind/rain)
              Temporary submergement
              Snow/Ice buildup
              Extreme Heat, Humidity, other factors.
              And of course, UV ratings.

It can be difficult to find outdoor rated enclosures for certain things.

Now, it is a bit different when you start looking at installing cabinets outdoors vs receptacles, disconnects, etc. I just wanted to bring that up.

https://www.nemaenclosures.com/enclo...nclosures.html
              Hey Sparkie,

I always read the NEMA ratings as "either indoor or outdoor use" to mean that the enclosure was designed for both to achieve a given classification, not one or the other, but what you're saying makes sense. In that case NEMA-3R doesn't get you there either. Really none of the NEMA ratings speak to outdoor use as you stated.

Based on your short list, UV is the only additional factor that NEMA enclosure ratings don't really speak to. I guess that makes sense since UV isn't typically a concern for an enclosure (except that some fiberglass/plastic panels may experience UV degradation), but for an HMI it is a deal breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.foster View Post

Hey Sparkie,

I always read the NEMA ratings as "either indoor or outdoor use" to mean that the enclosure was designed for both to achieve a given classification, not one or the other, but what you're saying makes sense. In that case NEMA-3R doesn't get you there either. Really none of the NEMA ratings speak to outdoor use as you stated.

Based on your short list, UV is the only additional factor that NEMA enclosure ratings don't really speak to. I guess that makes sense since UV isn't typically a concern for an enclosure (except that some fiberglass/plastic panels may experience UV degradation), but for an HMI it is a deal breaker.
                UV for an HMI absolutely is a deal-breaker. I've never seen a panel mounted outside with an exposed HMI of any type, though.

Comment

Working...
                X