EA9-T12CL Screen responds erratically no power on LED on front of panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA9-T12CL Screen responds erratically no power on LED on front of panel

We have several EA9-T12CL's. The newest one responds erractically to pushing on the screen for screen changes and numeric entry. When it does, generally a cycle of power will fix it. However, our operator noticed that the last time this occured, the Green LED on the upper left indicating power on was not lit, but the screen was still on. Has anyone else seen this before? Could it be an power supply going bad. It has a EA-AC on the rear. Cleaning the screen doesn't seem to help as well as this last time it took several power cycles to fix it. When it mess up, you can push one place and it actually activates something else. For instance if you were doing a numeric entry. You might push a 3 and it may enter a 5, or push a 9 and it may enter a 1.

What SW version, what other controls equipment is connected?
    There were some issues with EA7 that caused white/black screen problems -- if connected to P3000. Kinda specific. That is why I asked about other controls equipment.

--from release notes
    V2.77
    3) White Screen or Lockup when connected to P3000. Ver.2.75 fixed this but Ver.2.76 did not
    11) P3000 white screen issue

V2.75
    9) White Screen or Lockup when connected to P3000

Comment

Software version is 6.42. Could be 6.41. Not sure of the firmware at the moment. It was updated around the first of the year. Connected to a SLC500 via DF1 - RS232 port. I think it is a 5/04. It's been working great. Now all of the sudden it is doing this. I called in a month or two ago. They said send it in since it was under warranty. Then it started working again with no issues. Again, it is not locking up, giving any sort of error, or anything. Most noticeable when using the numeric entry, but it happens other times too. Say if you are selecting a numeric entry area, it might pick a different one. Cycle the power and then its ok for a bit. Again this last deal, it was messing up and the Green Power LED light was out. At least that is what the operator said. We are watching for that again.

Comment

FW should be the same as SW.
        Have you verified good grounding/0Vdc. between hmi & plc?

Comment

No I have not checked that. Might not be that easy. There is some stuff in the way that would block doing that task very easily. However, I am curious. I am using a EA-AC power supply. How would the 0 VDC get grounded from that. Is it internally grounded to the AC Ground?

Comment

I was more concerned about the data, but the power grounding could be a noise source.
            EAs are VERY sensitive to low DC voltage. I have seen some EA7s reboot at about 22Vdc.

Comment

Ok, so it is not just one operator. It has actually been working ok today. Only has messed up a time or two. Works great in certain areas. It may be where the numeric keypad pops up and they enter the numbers. They change numbers quite frequently. They did say that it seems to work better when they just barely touch it. Is there any way to have the keypad pop up in a random location so as not to wear out the same area. Or should the area just last? This one has been installed for just under a year now.

Comment

Is the screen clean?
                Does it have a protector sheet? If it does, maybe there is some trash embedded in the protector sheet.
                It is not impossible that the touch layer is failing,. Is there a pattern/relationship between where you touch and what gets activated?

Does this panel have a touch calibration setup in the system screen? Maybe a touch test screen?

[Edit touch screen questions]
                Last edited by kewakl; 12-11-2019, 09:49 PM.

Comment

How old is the panel? Have you considered calling ADC Returns and seeing about getting a replacement? A good test, but a lot of work would be to swap screens and see if the problem moves.

If you get a replacement and that does not help, then you can start digging in to the power/grounding. The EA-AC could be the issue also, maybe worth swapping that or trying a different power source.

Keep in mind that comm cable connections could be causing a ground loop. Check you other systems with no issues and see what is different in this system.

Comment

kewakl.....At one time, I had them make sure the scree was clean. It seemed to help, but only for what appeared to be a short time. At that time, a power cycle seemed to help. Again, only temporary. Yes there seems to be a pattern. Seems only in the data entry keypad, which pops up in the same area everytime. Calabration doesn't seem to help. I will go do a screen test to see if that shows anything. They do say that if they barely touch the screen it seems to work better.

Comment

HMI Eng...... Panel is under a year old. I have called ADC Returns. They said send it in no questions. However, it started to work again for a short time after cleaning the screen. I hate to send it in if it is not their issue. I have another EA-AC that I can swap. I also have a brand new screen to install while the other one is out for evaluation/repair. All other systems seem to be ok. Not to say they aren't comprimised, they just aren't giving issues.

Comment

Sounds like a good approach. It's always appreciated if you can narrow it down to the panel before returning it (and it save you time in the long run), but if you determine the panel may be the problem, please don't hesitate to get a replacement.

Comment

Couple of things I have seen over the years:

Static Electricity will affect calibration and touch sensitivity. Film lines, web rolls, etc can generate enough static to sometimes cause issues.

Magnetic interference was one of the oddest I came across. A guy had mounted the screen below a metal sortation magnet. He put a metal shield over the touchscreen and it solved the issue.
                          If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

A few more things. I got a call from the operator which forced me to go down and look at the screen. The screen said No User Program. This has happened before but not in a long time. The work around was we backed it up to a USB thumb drive and then the operator could load the program. That being said, I attempted that and it stated that the firmware was mismatched. I checked and the firmware was 6.41. The program was 6.42. So I got my laptop and attempted to download the program. I could not connect to the panel via the USB port. I want to also note that I should have been able to connect to it from our network, but again could not connect. I could ping the IP address, but could not connect. That being said, I used the USB thumb drive to update the firmware, then restored the program. The screen booted up, and went back to working except I still had the screen issue. I did a screen test and basically what happens is when you go to do a data entry, the pop up keypad gives us issues. You basically have to touch somewhere other than where you want to get it to work. Say for instance if you want a 1 you might have to touch in the area of the 4. Or if you want a 5 you might have to touch a 7 or 8. Also, if you touch the BS button, it might erase all the numbers you had keyed in. Don't know if this is all connected or not.

Comment

So long as it is not a safety issue, and you are sure there is no interference as Do-more PE suggested, I would proceed with your plans to replace the EA-AC and see what happens. If this does not reconcile it, replace the panel.

Comment

Working...
                              X