Cmore and Codesys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cmore and Codesys

Has anyone used Cmore with a Codesys PLC Program? If so, is there any preferred way to do this?

Not sure if this will answer your question directly, but I run a Nidec servo drive that uses the Codesys PLC. I pass information to the Cmore panel through the P2000 PLC. I let the P2000 handle the data. This is all done through an Ethernet connection. The Nidec drives allow TCP data to pass through so I don't even use a switch. It is all direct connected. I could hook this up to an external Ethernet, but my IT guys don't like that stuff on our corporate network.

Comment

Repeat after me: "Whatever the automation question, Modbus is the answer..." XD

The CoDeSys PLC's I've been forced to work with (Festo, ABB), have a Modbus server module you can load. I have no idea if features vary from platform to platform or if that's a function of CoDeSys per se, but any that have that, can talk to any HMI with a Modbus driver, which is all of them. I used an Idec HMI with a Festo CoDeSys PLC and it worked fine.

Two caveats: 1) Since the Modbus module is part of your application program, I'm sure it won't work if the PLC is in stop mode, which for most applications is probably OK, and 2) Some (all?) CoDeSys PLCs have embedded Linux as their OS, so they take like 5 seconds or more to boot, which is high as PLCs go.

PS: While I don't like CoDeSys in general, their SFC editing and commissioning implementation is good.

Comment

Originally posted by ControlsGuy View Post
        Repeat after me: "Whatever the automation question, Modbus is the answer..." XD
        Modbus is the answer (sp)

PS: While I don't like CoDeSys in general, their SFC editing and commissioning implementation is good.
        I don't disagree - but that is mostly a familiarity thing. -- my limited experience is TURCK PG-EN
        I DO like the LOCAL -vs- GLOBAL variables.
        I do like the visualization
        -edits-
        I like the option to write the program in whatever POU types are available/that fill the need.

One thing that I did NOT like was getting the software configured for use. Luckily I had a very capable engineer at Turck who helped me through every issue.
        Going online and transferring project to the plc were was a bit odd. I don't remember specifics, but I was always anxious when doing so.
        Except for some older hardware with somewhat delicate firmware, the two plcs have chugged on for about 8 years. That hardware was replaced by the TURCK.
        Last edited by kewakl; 01-22-2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Last CoDeSys PLC I used was one of the ifm Efector Asi units and I did not care for it. Ended up using a Do-More with an Anybus Modbus TCP to Asi gateway. Worked pretty well and has been running for about 8 years or so now.

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
            I DO like the LOCAL -vs- GLOBAL variables. I like the option to write the program in whatever POU types are available/that fill the need.
            I like both of those as well. I support a lot of the principles in IEC-61131, but CoDeSys specifically feels like kind of a cheesy product.

For example, I use the Siemens S7-1200 and 1500 a lot and really like being able to use ST for appropriate routines (as well as having local and static local memory in FBs). But Siemens' implementation of SFC is weaker than CoDeSys, IMO. Transitions have to be simple enough expressions that you can write it right next to the transition, for example. In CoDeSys, the transition can be five rungs of ladder if you want, with logic, timers, counters, etc., all leading to energizing a special coil that represents the transition state. You click on the transition and you get a window with just the transition logic and nothing else. Clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Adisharr View Post
              Last CoDeSys PLC I used was one of the ifm Efector Asi units and I did not care for it. Ended up using a Do-More with an Anybus Modbus TCP to Asi gateway. Worked pretty well and has been running for about 8 years or so now.
              Dang! I was gonna question your timeline and then I realized Do-More HAS been around for eight years! Man, time flies.

Comment

Dang! I was gonna question your timeline and then I realized Do-More HAS been around for eight years! Man, time flies.
                Haha I just looked it up myself, it was actually 6 years? Looks like around early 2014

Comment

Working...
                X