Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-More Micro and CompactLogix L16

Hello.
    I bought a C More Micro HMI panel (PN EA3-S3ML) beacuse I need a display for a project that I'm developing on an Allen Bradley CompactLogix L16 PLC.

I'm aware that this requires to set up the driver in the C More Micro HMI Designer as SLC.

In the specifications sheet reads as following: Allen-Bradley EtherNet/IP (Client) Control/CompactLogix (SLC Mapping only)

So I used the Allen-Bradley Ethernet/IP Client (SLC5/05/ENI Adapter).
    I specified the IP address of the plc as 192.168.1.10.

I already added two tags. One has the plc address B3:0/0 and another one is an Integer B3/0.

In the PLC I performed the mapping.

In the file number I used File 3 (which would be de B3 file used in SLC) and chose a 10 element INT array.

When I try to run a simple indicator, it won't turn on. Also I can modify the value of the tags on the HMI but the tag in the PLC won't change.

Any sugestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

You may have to check the PLC documentation or Rockwell support, but I believe the SLC mapping feature “over ethernet” was not supported until the 5380 series. Your PLC may be too old to do this over Ethernet. However, the serial option should still be available. Because I’m feeling a bit “iffy” on this response, please let me know what you find out.

Comment

Have the L16 do the messaging to and from the SLC. So much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by RoloTomassi View Post
        You may have to check the PLC documentation or Rockwell support, but I believe the SLC mapping feature “over ethernet” was not supported until the 5380 series. Your PLC may be too old to do this over Ethernet. However, the serial option should still be available. Because I’m feeling a bit “iffy” on this response, please let me know what you find out.
        Thanks for answering. In fact it's a brand new AB PLC (requires firmware 20+) and the guide provided in the C-More Micro Help wizard is assuming that the PLC has serial ports. My PLC has none so I believe this HMI is intended for older equipment.

What I'm thinking is getting a MicroLogix to verify that I'm properly doing the SLC Mapping and playing a little bit with the addressing (First time working with Automation Direct stuff)

If I can't figure out how to do it, I was considering getting a Productivity Series PLC and have it translate the data from the CompactLogix to the HMI and viceversa. Is this feasible?

If that doesn't work either should I upgrade the C More Micro into a C More that has the proper driver for reading tags directly from the CompactLogix via Ethernet?

Comment

Is Modbus TCP/IP an option?

Comment

Correction: It looks like the SLC Mapping over Ethernet support came about with the 5370 series. So, the L16 should support this.
            I've done this in the past using integer and float arrays, but never a boolean array. So, I got curious and had to test.
            I used an EA3-T4CL and a 5380 series 5069-L306ERM to test the bool array and it worked as expected. See images.

I would start with just a simple N7:0 and see if you can get this working. If you need to attach screenshots or images so that others in the forum can help, please do. This may offer a clue that could get you running.

One thing to note: Studio 5000 will create a bool array with a minimum of 32 bits. The B3 elements in RSLogix 500 are 16 bit. So, I'm not sure how bits 16 through 31 get handled in the SLC mapping. Do these roll over to B3:1? Maybe I'll play with that later, just to see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLC_Mapping_01.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	129051Click image for larger version

Name:	SLC_Mapping_02.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	129052Click image for larger version

Name:	SLC_Mapping_03.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	129053
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RoloTomassi View Post
              Correction: It looks like the SLC Mapping over Ethernet support came about with the 5370 series. So, the L16 should support this.
              I've done this in the past using integer and float arrays, but never a boolean array. So, I got curious and had to test.
              I used an EA3-T4CL and a 5380 series 5069-L306ERM to test the bool array and it worked as expected. See images.

I would start with just a simple N7:0 and see if you can get this working. If you need to attach screenshots or images so that others in the forum can help, please do. This may offer a clue that could get you running.

One thing to note: Studio 5000 will create a bool array with a minimum of 32 bits. The B3 elements in RSLogix 500 are 16 bit. So, I'm not sure how bits 16 through 31 get handled in the SLC mapping. Do these roll over to B3:1? Maybe I'll play with that later, just to see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLC_Mapping_01.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	129051Click image for larger version

Name:	SLC_Mapping_02.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	129052Click image for larger version

Name:	SLC_Mapping_03.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	129053
              YES!

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was trying to achieve.
              I was trying to see the tag changes in the Simulator but didn't transfer the project into the HMI.

As I previously said, I'm a complete newbie to Automation Direct so I was expecting that when the application was being simulated, the tags would change but I was wrong. Or at least that's how most HMI development softwares are meant to run.

Your picture of the HMI had me wondering why would anyone take pictures of the screen when you can take screenshots of the computer and then noticed that maybe I should have transferred the project into the HMI.

Anyways, your example with the boolean mapping in the CompactLogix was really helpful since I was doing it all wrong. Tried again with the N7 file and voila.

Now I can get to play with the screens.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
                Is Modbus TCP/IP an option?
                This sounds interesting.

Any idea where I should start looking?

Comment

Does your PLC support Modbus? I don't know enough about AB to know which hardware, firmware, phase of the moon, head tilt left/right... it takes to support modbus.
                  If so, determine the tags you need on the HMI. I don't know how to configure tags to modbus addresses in AB.
                  Then (if possible) export a tagdatabase that you can import into the CMORE software.
                  If not possible, you can hand-enter the tags/addresses into the software. EXCEL can help you to build this database offline.
                  Then build your screen.

It is a bit of work, so if what Rolo suggests is possible, do that.

Comment

The Micrologix 1400 will support Modbus TCP. The 1100 and the 1400 will do Modbus RTU the RS485 cable is pricey.
                    There's a possibility with the Micro850 Modbus TCP and RTU are listed in the manual but I've yet to use it.
                    There's sample programs for newer Controllogix PLC to use socket commands to do it but it's not a driver and doesn't fit into the MSG instruction.

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
                    Does your PLC support Modbus? I don't know enough about AB to know which hardware, firmware, phase of the moon, head tilt left/right... it takes to support modbus.
                    If so, determine the tags you need on the HMI. I don't know how to configure tags to modbus addresses in AB.
                    Then (if possible) export a tagdatabase that you can import into the CMORE software.
                    If not possible, you can hand-enter the tags/addresses into the software. EXCEL can help you to build this database offline.
                    Then build your screen.

It is a bit of work, so if what Rolo suggests is possible, do that.
                    Last edited by NevergoldMel; 03-09-2020, 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                    X