C-More EA7 Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-More EA7 Software

Our company purchased a copy of C-more EA9 programming software so I can backup and modify the HMI's. I come to find out that some of the machines still have the EA7 series HMI Panels.
    The software naturally does not communicate to these older panels. I went online and found Cmore V2.78 which is apparently for the older EA7 Panels and downloaded it.
    When I was installing it, I did tell it I wanted it as a new installation so it would not overwrite the current EA9 Software. Instead it created a second copy of the EA9 software which I verified by looking at the version number. (Version 6.53) I did go into the extracted folder and verified that it is the 2.78 version.

I went and looked at the program files folder on the C drive and sure enough it made a second installation of 6.53 and added a _2 to the end of it.

So how can I read the projects from the older EA7 panels and since these panels are now retired, is there a way to convert them to a EA9 project in the event one of these older panels fail?

Mike

https://ftp.automationdirect.com/pub/cmore_v278sp2.zip says its for EA7???

Comment

Try your download and install again
      I have almost every ea7 and ea9 version installed. Don 't remember ever seeing anything like this.
      Verify 'by download date' that you are using your latest downloaded file.

Comment

Here is the page with the download links.

https://support.automationdirect.com...cts/cmore.html

First one is the current EA9 software (which I already have) Second one is the file you noted (2.78) and it does say it supports the EA7. (Legacy version) This is what I downloaded.

After it installed I went into the folder it installed to and it was a second copy of the EA9 software, not the 2.78 ??

Mike

Comment

I re-downloaded that file (2.78SP2). It matches the 121,576 KByte (118MB - from within Explorer file properties)size of the file that I downloaded Oct 2017. That file worked as intended.
          Maybe clear any browser cache and do it all again.
          Both files appear to be identical.
          If you are interested:
          https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html
          To check against what I posted below.

Info for file downloaded Oct 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	sha- v2.78SP2 (2017).png
Views:	107
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	129530

Info for file downloaded Mar 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	sha- v2.78SP2 (2020).png
Views:	104
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	129531

Comment

The Nirsoft page (linked in the previous post) has a download link at the bottom of the page,
            If you install that file, it will put a 'context menu' entry in explorer. From this menu entry, you can do CRC, SHA or pick the (*) option for all of it. That is what I did.
            FWIW, I have used and trusted Nirsoft for years. <-- That is in no way meant to imply that it is ok for you to violate any company restrictions with respect to downloaded content!

Maybe AD can issue CRC/SHA or whatever file metrics they support for their downloads.

Comment

The file I downloaded matches as far as file size and name. I will check again on the laptop when I return to work. The only thing I can think of is since I already had the newer version installed first, it used that downloaded file. Perhaps I need to remove the EA9 software and install the older one first, then install the newer one as a new install instead of overwrite.

Hopefully the serial number that was purchased will work with the older version so I can read the older EA7 Panels.

Mike

Comment

The serial number will work with the older software.
                If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

ea7 and ea9 should not interfere with each other's installations.
                  The serial number that we have applies to both. I am unsure if this is universal - I did not buy any of the original packages.

[edit] thanks Do-more PE!

Comment

I am back to work today, I will try to un-install and then install the older one first, and then the newer one and I will report what happens.

Thanks for the info on the serial number.

Mike

Comment

I un-installed the EA9 Software (V 6.43). I then installed the EA7 Software (V2.78) first, it took the serial key we have. After completed, I then installed the EA9 Software (V6.43) and used the same serial key. I noticed that during installation of the 6.43 version, it did NOT ask to overwrite the older version or make a second installation. It installed to a different folder in the Program Files folder. I also have two desktop icons, one for each version. I went out on to the floor and used the 2.78 version to read from the older EA7 Panels and saved them. It worked correctly.
                      I am also having no issues reading or writing to the EA9 panels with the 6.43 version. Everything is working well now.

One question, since the EA7 Panels are retired, is an EA9 Panel the direct replacement? Is all I have to do is load the EA7 project into the newer software (V6.43) and will it convert it to the newer panel format? (EA9). If not, how can I convert the EA7 projects to the EA9 format?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikeexplorer View Post
                        I un-installed the EA9 Software (V 6.43). I then installed the EA7 Software (V2.78) first, it took the serial key we have. After completed, I then installed the EA9 Software (V6.43) and used the same serial key. I noticed that during installation of the 6.43 version, it did NOT ask to overwrite the older version or make a second installation. It installed to a different folder in the Program Files folder. I also have two desktop icons, one for each version. I went out on to the floor and used the 2.78 version to read from the older EA7 Panels and saved them. It worked correctly.
                        I am also having no issues reading or writing to the EA9 panels with the 6.43 version. Everything is working well now.

One question, since the EA7 Panels are retired, is an EA9 Panel the direct replacement? Is all I have to do is load the EA7 project into the newer software (V6.43) and will it convert it to the newer panel format? (EA9). If not, how can I convert the EA7 projects to the EA9 format?

Mike
                        Glad it is working as intended.

As far as the upgrade path, when opening the EA7 project in the EA9 software you should be greeted by a Project Conversion dialog.
                        After commissioning the project in an upgraded panel, look through each screen- check readability/legibility.

Comment

Yes, the typically higher resolution on the EA9's does tend to "require" me to dink around, making things look neat again. Not usually a huge effort, and it tends to look nicer afterwards than the original in the EA7.

But you don't have to do this.

Comment

That is good to know, its no big deal if I have to move some things around to make it neat again. This is something I can do ahead of time with all the saved EA7 projects. I can import them into the newer software, convert them and save them in my EA9 project folder. This way I have them ready to go in the event of a panel failure. We can now just keep a spare EA9 panel, most of them we have are the 12 inch ones, write the project to it, and swap it to get the machine back up and running quickly.

Thanks for the advice

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X