Language Edit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language Edit

I am having a problem with carriage returns when using language edit.

In my c-more program buttons and other components will have text that includes Carriage Returns for proper formatting. When I export using Language Edit and open the resulting XLS in Excel it does not format the CR correctly. When I import the file back into C-More, my CRs have been erased and I end up with something like the following:

ButtonText

Rather than

Button
    Text

If I select a cell in Excel that has a CR and I select the field so that I am able to edit the text, and then select any other cell, the CRs are then handled. Excel reformats the cell displaying the text correctly including CRs. When I import this file back into C-More the CRs are there as they should be. As mentioned, this is accomplished without making any actual change to the cell contents. All it appears I am doing is getting Excel to "edit" the cell contents and re-evaluate them. This of course has to be done on a per cell basis.

Now if my program were smaller, I could just update these by hand fairly easily, but my program is very large. This method is not sustainable in the long run and so I wanted to see if anyone had found a work around for it.

I have had the same result using both C-More 2.77 and 6.12 and tested making edits with excel 97, 2007, and 2011 for Mac. None of these have provided a solution.

As I work primarily with C-More 2.77 for backwards compatibility of my programs, I would need a fix that applies to this software or something that I can do within Excel to force re-evaluation of all cell contents.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I don't know about a Mac, but on a PC, select all cells in the Excel Spreadsheet. Right Click and select Format Cells, select Alignment tab and check the Wrap text Box.

This seems to cause all of the cells to format the same as editing each individual cell.

Comment

So I got a chance to dig into this more and it turns out that the Carriage Returns are not being eaten as I thought. I have attached two images, one before the text has been exported. The second is after the language edit has been exported, opened in excel and saved, then imported back into the same c-more program.

The problem seems to be that C-More uses Char 10 (Line Feed) for a new line. Excel apparently takes this and changes it to two Char 13 (Carriage Return).

To replicate, open a new project (ea7 or ea9 both do the same thing). Insert a button and give it some text with line breaks like:

This
      Is
      A
      Button

Then export the language edit. Open it in excel (seems to act the same in all versions I have tried). Don't change anything, just save it and then import it back into C-More. Now you will see that the text is displayed on the screen as:

This

Is

A

Button

But when you look at the button properties you see the text as:

ThisIsAButton

Any idea what is going on here? Is there a specific program that the language edit was designed around? Excel doesn't seem to be the one.
      Attached Files

Comment

So it seems that my problems all stemmed from the Mac OS.

Once I had opened a language file in Excel for Mac it made changes to the file and then any other Excel versions I opened up had the same errors, which at the time had me thinking they all were doing the same thing. Turns out that if I handle everything in Windows only and never touch the file with Mac OS, I can get the language edit to work properly.

Comment

Working...
        X