Changing Aliases on DirectSoft6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Aliases on DirectSoft6

I am new to the DirectSoft6 but have the following problem.

Am using a Direct Logic 05 controller. Seems like the aliases are not matching the address ranges specified. For Ex. V41000 should correspond with alias CTA0 but it shows as VS0 in the element browser, and so forth with many other examples.

Another example: V40500 - 40517 should have aliases P0 - 7777. How could that be.... 40500 to 40517 = 18 available Addresses but P0 - 7777 = 7778 possible addresses? Makes no sense!!!!

I know I can turn the aliases off but would rather change or make custom ones that make more sense.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Take a look at Chapter 3 of the User manual for your PLC. It should tell you where each alias starts and ends at.

http://www.automationdirect.com/stat...als/index.html
    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Right here is the pertinent table:
      Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
      Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Scratching my head!

Thank for your responses. I see the difference, however I would have thought as a novice user that the information that you get on the Element Browser when you click on the magnifying icon to be the actual aliases of the device that I am connected to? This would save time and allow the user to not have to go to the manual.

I don't know if this is more of a suggestion or complaint or maybe I just don't understand it right!

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Can you provide some screen captures illustrating your confusion? Comment on what is shown and what you think should be shown.
          thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

If I start a new DS6 project and select DL05 as the PLC. Then when I add an OUT box and click the magnifier, then each of the V-memory addresses I click on has the same aliases as what the screenshot I posted says that they should.

I can't quite understand this statement:
            V41000 should correspond with alias CTA0
            Where did you get the idea that V41000 corresponds with CTA0?
            Is it possible that you have a different CPU selected for your project?
            Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Sorry for the confusion

The confusion was on me thinking that this display that shows on the element browser is actually a one column list instead of a two column list. I thought that the Valid ranges had the associated alias right next to it. Instead you have to scroll sideways to find it.

Like I said, am a newbie, thanks for the patience!

Thanks

Comment

Your questions make sense now... No problem
                Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Are you confusing Modbus addresses (e.g. Holding Register 41001) with aliases?

Aliases for the DL 05/06/205/350/405 PLC line are "fixed". V41000 is always the word-sized bit map for Stage Bits S0..S17, V41001 is the word-sized bitmap for stage bits S20..S37.

Hence the alias for V41000 is always VS0 (since it starts with bit S0) and the alias for V41001 is always VS20 (since it starts with bit S20).

Now the 05 may not have as many stage bits (400 octal) as an 06 (2000 octal), so there may not be as many aliases:
                  max V41017 or VS360 in an 05
                  max V41077 or VS1760 in an 06

Note also that the octal addressing can get confusing (sorry about that).
                  There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

The element browser is not a reference to find which alias is associated with which memory location. The possibility that an alias is located to the right of the associated V memory addresses simply a coincidence.

If you go to 'View' - 'Options' - Global Tab you can turn off aliases then the element browser is much cleaner.

And actually on my screen the element browser (with aliases ON) has 3 columns of entries in the 'Valid Ranges' table (for an instruction which expects a word reference).

And no Mark - I don't think that he was confusing Modbus addresses in this discussion.
                    thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Working...
                    X