Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA-9 remote access issue

All,

We have several EA-9 15" models (with not-the-latest) firmware and remote access works as advertised.

We recently purchased two EA9 8" units with version 2.02 firmware that are giving us problems connecting to remote access. We constantly get a bad user name or password message when trying to log in remotely for HMI. We can log in to the web server just fine.

We are using software version 6.13.

To set these up, I'm going to the Touchpanel network page, enabling web server on port 80 and enabling remote access full control on port 11102 (user restrictions 1) with user name/password. This is exactly how the working 15" screens are set up.

What am I missing that prohibits me from logging in to the 8" panels?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

John

What do you mean by log in 'remotely'?
    Are you logging in with a PC on the same network?
    Is the gateway and the subnet set up properly on the panel?
    If you are trying to log in from outside the Local network, then are the correct ports being forwarded in your router?
    Also, did you enter your external IP addresses into the 'Remote Connection' box on the 'Remote Access' tab?
    Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
    Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Did you download the remote access app from the actual panel(s) in question, or is it a copy from a different panel? Does the filename(s) have correct IP for panel(s) in question?

Is the panel booting from an older version of the project that was unintentionally left on a memory stick in the panel? (Maybe a version that has a different pw and you thought you updated it, but what you didn't know is that the panel's running the old project.)

Quite honestly, every time I've had this kind of issue it was because I was too tired & crabby to notice that I had a user or pw mis-match.

plcnut are your questions answered where by virtue of establishing a connection and login can be entered, one could assume it's not a networking issue? (sorry if that's a dumb question).

Comment

Any reason you can't update HMI firmware to 6.13?
        There are tricks to do this remotely with little risk.

(GBTW there is no version 2.02 firmware for EA9, typo?)

Comment

Originally posted by dieselvette View Post
          plcnut are your questions answered where by virtue of establishing a connection and login can be entered, one could assume it's not a networking issue? (sorry if that's a dumb question).
          I was leaning toward the possibility of a router not being configured for the correct ports on the correct panel. If you are trying to access a panel from outside the LAN and don't have the ports configured correctly, then you may 'think' you are connecting to 'panel 3' but your router has connected you to 'panel 6' so now your credentials don't work.
          Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.
          Jason Wolthuis

Comment

Originally posted by plcnut View Post
            I was leaning toward the possibility of a router not being configured for the correct ports on the correct panel. If you are trying to access a panel from outside the LAN and don't have the ports configured correctly, then you may 'think' you are connecting to 'panel 3' but your router has connected you to 'panel 6' so now your credentials don't work.
            That is an excellent point, multiple panels behind the same router could appear to have the same IP from outside that network.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselvette View Post
              Any reason you can't update HMI firmware to 6.13?
              There are tricks to do this remotely with little risk.
              What are the tricks for remotely updating firmware with little risk? I find myself needing to do this frequently, but always hesitant to do it...

Comment

Originally posted by marksji View Post
                What are the tricks for remotely updating firmware with little risk? I find myself needing to do this frequently, but always hesitant to do it...
                I haven't done it for a while, so I'm describing from memory here... (also note this was with EA7 panels). Basic concept is use FTP to transfer files rather than Cmore software. Also were taking advantage of this fact: If there is a CF card in the when you upload a project to panel then the project is transferred to that card (whether you like it or not) and the panel boots from that card. Important to note that this is a different file type than regular project file, or even transfer-to-disk project.

So, I would transfer revised project to a "local" panel with CF card in it....now you have a Cmore-bootable project file on a CF card. Rename file to something different. Use Filezilla and copy this file to remote panel CF card via FTP for a well-managed data transfer that's error-free. If the transfer goes well, when complete you can delete old file on remote panel and re-name new file to default name (Cmore will boot new project on next startup). If the transfer didn't go well (lost connection or whatever) no problem the Cmore won't care that there's some odd-named file on the CF card since the old project is still there, you can re-try when connection is better and delete the error-prone file.

To take it a step further, does the remote Cmore need a CF card in it, or can the new project be copied directly to Cmore memory? Perhaps a bench test is needed for that.

Now, with firmware updates I remember doing it in a similar fashion, but don't quote me on that (or is firmware update optionally "packaged" with project on transfer????) It's also possible I only used FTP to transfer firmware upgrade to USB stick on remote Cmore, and then had on-site person do the rest on-screen. Bottom line, firmware upgrade is possible via flash disk, so possible safely via FTP.

(On certain remote sites, we actually had the Cmore power connected thru a relay so we could re-boot remotely via PLC. This allowed re-boot no matter what Cmore condition was.)

It's been about 2 years since I did any remote work with Cmore so if anyone else has input feel free to correct me or ask questions! Please bench-test my above suggestions before attempting the remote update!

Comment

Please pardon me if I am posting in a wrong place, as I am new to this, although the topic seems to be related close enough to what I am wanting to find out. On EA7-T8C units, I have sent projects to panels over the ethernet while in the same domain with no problem. Attempting to do so to remote sites (in other states of the country) that process is not able to complete, so I have had to update a project into a compact flash card with USB, physically send the card to the remote sites, to swap into the remote panel so it can have an updated project each time. I use FileZilla, and I am able to readily download produced log files as well as replace html web pages, and recipe if needed, although I am not able to update the project using FTP. When I read a flash card with a PC and a card reader, I find 5 files: Font, Log, Mmd, Prj, and Recipe. When I use FTP to the remote sites, I only have access to these CF card files: Log, Mmd, and Recipe. My question is, am I doing something wrong to not find the Prj file so I can update the project remotely?
                  Thank you for any help,
                  Tom

Comment

Maybe the Prj file is not on the CF card, because this option was not selected when you first uploaded the project? For example in EA9 - Panel Manager - you can select project storage/boot-from location. EA7 has a similar option. Not sure if that would make a difference - odd that FZ doesn't see it, if it is actually there.

But, even if the Cmore is set up to boot from internal flash, you still have the option of using FZ and upload to USB stick which is in the panel. This would take the place of mailing the stick. You then just need a person on-site to go in the system screen and update the project from USB.

Comment

I appreciate your response, although the same compact flash card that only reveals the 3 files I mentioned through FZ over the internet, can be taken out of the panel, inserted into a CF card reader in a PC, and then I have access to all the previously mentioned 5 files on that card. I agree, I do not know why FZ does not allow me to view the Font or Prj files, even using a local mock-up router with the same domain address. Years ago I used to be able to sometimes access by ftp address with a web browser, although I cannot get that method to work anymore, with either Firefox, or IE. Maybe a technological security change with IP is now preventing that option.

Comment

Working...
                      X