Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kill forum by pasting image into forum editor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill forum by pasting image into forum editor.

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
    That was my experience also. I gave up on images after finally getting something to work without knowing exactly what I did. Trying to find new posts is still a major pain too.

Comment

I have passed this on to our administrator. He will look into it and see what he can do.
      If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Kewakl,

Please send me or post your OS and browser type and version. for this current post I am using Windows 7 with Chrome

I have done some preliminary testing with several browser versions Microsoft Edge, Chrome, IE for "pasting" images and making attachments of pics, pdf.

My results:

I could not paste and successfully post with any browser

windows 10, Edge: could not paste, could make attachments and post
        windows 7, windows 10, Chrome: could not paste, could make attachments and post

Windows 7, windows 10 IE 11: I could paste an image into the post box but it would not preview, or post. I tried an attachment, I got a json error and was not able to post

Based on this short test for now, using Chrome and a attachment may work for you

I'm currently away from the office and will return next week. If I can duplicate your exact results, I will submit it to the forum vendor and hopefully find either a solution or work around

Kind regards,
        Attached Files

Comment

Loren, when you say ' could not paste and successfully post with any browser' do you mean that it did not post, or could not paste, or killed the forum?

Comment

Kewakl,

Let me see... It's early and can't sleep. I'll try to answer some of this.

You nor I have never "killed the forum" only locked up the browser session on our computer. Once you close the browser and reopen it the forum still is the forum.

what I mean by "paste" or "not paste" is most of the new browser do not even allow the option to paste into the Post Reply box. of the ones that I tested only IE would let me actually paste into the box. And only if I open it in paint shop pro or did a screen capture then copied. But, when I would preview or post it would show up as a black X. I'll try in this post.

pic above. <tried then removed> gave me this error "Maximum number of characters exceeded. It cannot be more than 10000 characters. The current number of characters is 215173"
            It may consider the data from the pic part of the message text.

I'll try a smaller image.

Comment

The above is a 50 x 50 px image. But for me just shows an X after posting. From right clicking then clicking Properties. It looks like it tried to save the image in the file system, which for security reasons is no longer allowed. When an attachment is added it is stored in the database.

smaller and larger file added as an attachments here.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                Kewakl,

Let me see... It's early and can't sleep. I'll try to answer some of this.

You nor I have never "killed the forum" only locked up the browser session on our computer. Once you close the browser and reopen it the forum still is the forum.

what I mean by "paste" or "not paste" is most of the new browser do not even allow the option to paste into the Post Reply box. of the ones that I tested only IE would let me actually paste into the box. And only if I open it in paint shop pro or did a screen capture then copied. But, when I would preview or post it would show up as a black X. I'll try in this post.
                If we 'only locked up the browser session on our computer' can you explain why the forum is unavailable to any other device that I use to access the forum server?

To 'paste' or Not to 'paste': FF had no problem allowing me to CTRL-V into the forum editor. I will experiment again with both editor contexts ( New Topic and Reply) on FF and Chome.

EDIT: FF 45.0.2 Chrome 50.0.2661.94 m
                FF : No issues accepting and rendering a CTRL-V image content into the REPLY or NEW TOPIC dialog
                CHROME : Does NOT accept/render CTRL-V pasted image content into REPLY or NEW TOPIC dialog
                However the 'Write something. . .' prompt disappears

In FF (REPLY field), I pasted content and then deleted that content and attempted to edit (PENCIL TOOL) THIS post - forum died. -- NOT 100% REPRODUCIBLE - I do get an odd error message [Title: Edit Conversation Content HTTP 0 - ] I'll try to post pic in Chrome
                [EDIT: Just tested on CHROME -- Since chrome does not seem to allow CTRL-V and does not render, it had no issue with the previous experiment of CTRL-V/DELETE/EditPost]
                FF shows forum server unavailable
                Cell phone browser said page unavailable
                Chrome had a similar unavailable message.
                I killed all browsers and reloaded FF. Forum still unavailable.
                Last edited by kewakl; 05-06-2016, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Edit Conversation HTTP 0 - error message dialog
                  Attached Files

Comment

FF 46.0 Accepts and renders CTRL-V paste, crashes forum on post

Comment

Attempt typed-in smilie : p

Comment

Attempted to use toolbutton smilie - crashed forum.

Comment

Kewakl,

I spent a few hours yesterday testing different possible causes and was not able to duplicate the issue you are seeing, locking/crashing for a period of time after upload attempt

I am currently working with the networking folks to see if maybe a firewall could be restricting/blocking with a time limit release as a cause.

Comment

A firewall on who's end?
                            For me, it is happening at home and at work.

FYI: the latest FF (46.0) is horribly slow loading(and scrolling a fully-loaded page) the AD store. MS IE (dont know the version) loads quickly and scrolls quickly.
                            This is happening whether I am at home or at work.
                            At home, Chrome 50.0.2661.94 m is not slow.
                            FF takes about 10 seconds to scroll down one mousewheel scroll on the Nema 1 enclosures page

With FF, other websites are laggy, too.

Comment

Kewakl,

I'm looking at causes on our end.

I can't do anything about issues outside of here, other than point them out or find a work around ( Windows XP, IE vs Chrome vs FireFox). If it works with one browser and not another, I can only recommend. Even with an issue caused by the forum software my only solution is to report it to the vendor and wait for acknowledgement and possibly a fix.

So far other than this issue (locking up randomly when posting attachment) most issues have been basic configuration settings (smilies, avatars, signatures, marking channels read) which have been corrected. Or functional and security changes over the past 12 year with the software, made by the vendor (no "new posts" button) which there are not going to be a solution.

On our end I have not been able to replicate your issue. Thank for your patience. I'll update if I find a cause on our end.

Kind Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X